The German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) has commissioned the Gesellschaft frinternationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) with the Programme “Strengthening Governance and Civil Society in Uganda”, co-funded by the European Union. The main objective of the programme is that selected state and civil society actors in Uganda are in better position to work towards the compliance with human rights and governance principles in their respective areas of responsibility.
Structurally, the programme focuses on 3 main components: 1) Strengthening External Audit 2) Strengthening Human Rights and 3) Strengthening Civil Society. In the area of civil society support, GIZ co-funded by the EU focusses on 1) promotion of a conducive legal and institutional environment for civil society, 2) improving the participation of civil society in policy processes, especially at sub-national level and 3) support to civil society organisations (CSOs) in organizational development, improved service delivery and representation of interests of their constituencies.
To achieve these goals, the programme supports state and non-state actors both at national and sub-national level to promote a productive dialogue on the role of civil society and to integrate civil society perspectives more effectively into policy processes. The programme components (2) foster political participation and (3) capacity development for CSOs will primarily be implemented at the subnational level through offices in Arua, Fort Portal, Gulu, Kabale, Kampala, Mbale, Mbarara and Moroto and cooperate closely with the other programme component (1) creating an enabling environment at the national level.
GIZ is recruiting a Technical Assistant for the Fort Portal, Kabarole office to support the implementation of its programme. This job advert specifically targets recent university graduates.
Job Title: Technical Assistant Organisational Development and Political Participation
Reports to: Coordinator, South Western Hub, CUSP, Governance Programme
Job Location: FortPortal Kabarole
Contract Duration: Until 14th December 2021
Ref No.: GIZ-CUSP/TA/D62148
We encourage men and women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place.
The Technical Assistant will support the international Development Advisor in Fort Portal in executing the following responsibilities:
• Organizational development of CSOs, e.g., on topics like strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation, income diversification, CSO management and membership orientation.
• Advising CSOs and district authorities (DAS) in Fort Portal and surrounding districts on how to improve participation of CSOs in policy processes.
• Enabling CSOs to participate in the policy dialogue, represent the interests of their members and to fulfill their role as independent actors more effectively.
• Planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of activities in Fort Portal and – surrounding areas in line with the mandate of the programme.
The Technical Assistant performs the following tasks:
• Support the Development Advisor in the implementation of Change Projects with partners from CSOs and local governments.
• Support the Development Advisor in the organization of meetings, workshops, and engagements with partners.
Administration and Reporting:
• Active participation in team monitoring of the programme and exchanging experiences and lessons learnt with other colleagues.
• Take over other small administrative tasks for a smooth implementation of the programme.
Other Duties/Additional Tasks.
• Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Required Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, preferably in Law, Political Science, Social Science or Development Studies.
• Experience in facilitation of workshops and trainings.
• Experience in qualitative and quantitative research, data collection and data analysis.
• Experience working with civil society organisations would be an added value.
• Very good knowledge of English, knowledge of Rutooro is an added value.
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Ability to work in an intercultural team.
• Knowledge of the Rwenzori region is an added advantage.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
• Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, email, the Internet) and computer applications (e.g., MS Office)
• Very good written and oral knowledge of English language
• Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
All Interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to [email protected]. Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs.
Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 4th July 2021. Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will he contacted.
Disclaimer: GIZ DOES NOT charge any kind of FEE(s) at whichever stage of the recruitment process. This recruitment is ONLY through Future Options Consulting Ltd.