The GIZ Promoting Rural Development (PRUDEV) Programme is a bilateral programme of the Ministry of Local Government (MLG) on behalf of the Government of Uganda and the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) on behalf of the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany. The aim of the programme is to improve the agriculture-based development of the rural economy in selected regions of Northern Uganda through the following areas of activities:Area of Activity 1: Capacity for local agriculture-based economic development.Area of Activity 2: Improved market integration. Area of Activity 3: Access to demand driven financial services.>Area of Activity 4: Enhanced awareness and capacities on Monitoring, Reporting and Verification;(MRV) of Greenhouse Gas Emissions in the agricultural sector Area of Activity 5: Water Resources management/ water for productionsuitable policy instruments for achieving their climate protection targets for sub-sectors
Number of vacancies: 1 Sector: Civil society Industry: NGO , Market Development , Market Development , Market Development , , Market Development
Knowledge, Skills & Competences
• Excellent Knowledge of ICT (related software, phone, email, internet) and computer applications e.g., MS Office.
• Additional Knowledge on M&E is desired.
• Experience in Northern Uganda (including basic knowledge of the local languages or willingness to acquire).
• Very good communication skills.
• Self-driven and motivated to work independently.
• Willingness to work and travel in remote areas.
• Willingness to up-skill own capacities/ capabilities as required by tasks to be performed, corresponding measures are agreed with management
• The Technical Advisor will be in charge of:
• Situation analysis to identify opportunities and constraints faced by smallholders and agri-entrepreneurs and supporting the development of strategies used in the marketing of their produce.
• Strengthened marketing capacities and trade opportunities for shea collectors and processors.
• Provide technical assistance, focused on marketing and market development issues, taking into consideration the different segments of the food system, e.g. smallholder farmers and their organisations, processors and other off-takers.
• Exploring and identifying feasible agricultural marketing strategies for instance the current status of contract farming in Northern Uganda and develop appropriate contract farming models for smallholder farmers/their organizations in the program implementation areas.
• Alignment with team members already working on the formulation and implementation of training and capacity development activities to strengthen business and marketing skills of smallholder farmers and their organisations.
• Identification, development and dissemination of information and knowledge products for agricultural marketing.
• Processing technical aspects and further developing the area of responsibility in accordance with the specified quality standards.
• Maintaining of a good flow of communication and information between all involved institutions and counterparts and GIZ.
• Ensuring that assigned programme activities are implemented successfully.
• Management and coordination
• Contributing to the implementation of the programme concept as outlined in the BMZ offer.
• Cooperating with other GIZ programmes under the portfolio wide approach.
• Implementing daily operational aspects of all issues related to the programme component.
• Organising all assigned activities in the field, directly working with government officials, farmers, farmer organisations, civil society organisations, and private sector actors on all aspects of marketing and markets development.
• Preparing and conducting programme activities.
• Assisting the programme with all organisational and management issues.
• Regularly consulting with the GIZ team on all programme activities.
• Participating in programme planning.
• Preparing, implementing, and documenting training events, workshops, forums, team meetings and other project activities.
• Communication, monitoring, knowledge management
• Supporting the head of component in maintaining a good flow of communication and information between the programme components, all involved institutions, private partners, other counterparts and GIZ.
• Representing the programme in sector meetings and various “Communities of Practitioners”, regarding technical discussions.
• Assisting with research activities and studies on technical areas relevant to the project.
• Assisting in drafting technical reports and assisting partners in reporting, as well as making technical presentations on behalf of the component.
• Supporting M&E activities of the component, the programme, and partners.
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
• Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
• Bachelor’s degree University Degree in Marketing, Business, Agribusiness or a related field
• Details of experience
• At least 5 years of progressive professional experience in market development and market linkages, working with private sector actors and their organisations as well as government institutions.
• Experience in the marketing of oil seeds, vegetable oils including shea butter, grains, pulses, roots and tubers and milled products are highly beneficial.
• Experience in working with development and international organizations
Job application procedure
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to [email protected] . Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 6th June 2021. Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 2021-06-06