Technical Advisor – Energy Economist (Re-advertised) Policy Dialogue and Knowledge management on low emission strategies (DIAPOL-CE).
Ref. No: GIZ – GCM/TA/052124
Location: – Uganda
Number of vacancies: 1
Sector: Civil society Industry: NGO, Climate change, Capacity development, Climate change, Capacity development
Knowledge, Skills & Competences
• Excellent knowledge of climate change, of international and national mitigation strategies, of the structure of development strategies in Uganda on a national and sectorial level, the integration of climate change mitigation in other domains and the monitoring and evaluation of climate change mitigation.
• Experience in capacity development.
• Knowledge of standards and procedure at the GIZ and the cooperation with scientific institutions will be considered an asset.
• Good working knowledge of information technology and communication (phone, e-mail, internet, Skype, webinars) and of computer applications (i.e.: MS Office).
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Availability for work trips inside the country and to other countries where the project is operating.
• Very good command of the English language.
• Conceptualization of DIAPOL program activities.
• Strategic level planning to guide implementation of the DIAPOL program activities including development of planning documents.
• Engaging government, private sector, development partners and other key stakeholders to facilitate project implementation.
• Provide technical backstopping for project partners on climate change mitigation and macroeconomic issues in general and specifically on the energy sector.
Technical Advisor – Energy Economist will be in charge of:
• Coordinates the implementation of project activities in Uganda.
• Represents the project DAIPOL-CE in Uganda (on behalf of the Project Officer).
• Ensures a close collaborative relationship and good use of synergies with other German Cooperation projects and other institutions working in the field of scenario modelling, climate protection, renewable energy and energy efficiency and financing e.g UNDP, GGGI, ICLEI, FAO and UNEP DTU among others.
• Drafts inputs for progress reports to the donor on activities in Uganda.
• Ensures, in coordination with the Project Officer, the visibility of the project at the national, sub-regional and international levels.
• Ensures the planning and budgeting, the monitoring of the implementation and the financial follow-up of all interventions.
• Elaborates operation plans and harmonize planning and budgeting.
• Consults regularly with the Project Officer on all activities and the implementation of the intervention strategy and propose, if necessary, options for adapting the strategy.
Technical activities and implementation of the project:
The Technical Advisor develops and implements a coherent strategy for project intervention in collaboration with the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development in charge of the project but in close collaboration with the Climate Change Department in the Ministry of Water and Environment in the following areas;
Climate-Energy-Economy Scenario Modelling for Decision Making
• Assessing the Ugandan context and needs as a basis for macroeconomic scenario modelling in the context of the development of the Long-Term Strategy.
• Involving and selecting relevant stakeholders in collaboration with Ugandan partners.
• Steering and accompanying the mission of the development of a quantitative climate-energy-economy model in close cooperation with a contracted consultant, the Ugandan partners at ministerial level and involved Ugandan research organisations.
• Supporting the development of responsibilities for model application and dissemination as well as a mode of cooperation between stakeholders and decision-makers at national level.
Green Banking Capacity Development Initiative
• Support the implementing organisation in the capacity assessment of private and public.
• Banking institutions in the field of financing renewable energy and energy efficiency projects
• Support selection of participants for the online training and training of trainers.
• Coordinate with a Ugandan training institution for the further implementation of the training with local trainers.
• Helps to identify the needs of government institutions and non-governmental partners.
• Ensures the preparation, planning, implementation and the documentation of trainings, workshops, forums, team meetings and other activities of the project.
• Ensures internal and external networking between different stakeholders in the area of intervention and thinks and acts outside the boundaries of the immediate team.
• Represents the program in coordination- and exchange fora at both national and international levels.
• Represents the program in the absence of the Project officer.
Communication and networking
• Establishes and maintains relations with all important actors in the area of responsibility.
• Provides technical support to local and international experts acting in this domain.
• Supports knowledge management: gathers, processes and communicates relevant information to partners and colleagues in the other countries of intervention of the project, observes communication and interactions between governmental institutions, non-governmental institutions and society through press analysis, direct dialogue and participation in conferences, seminars, etc.
• Developing and disseminating public relations materials that increase the visibility of the project among relevant stakeholders such as project fact sheets and power point presentations.
• Organising and updating project documentation, the filing systems and the virtual project library
• Ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners; cooperates with relevant partner organizations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project/programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships.
• Communicates project interests and efforts; forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project.
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
• Capacity building and management of institutional support on mitigation issues.
• Implementing knowledge management and new attribution knowledge as well as the analysis, capitalization, dissemination and scaling up of good practices.
• Implementing the monitoring and evaluation of actions, the monitoring of the use of these actions by the partner actors as well as the documentation of the effects.
• Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
• Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, engineering, mathematics, Environment Studies, Climate Change Studies or a related field with a focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency or Green House Gas mitigation.
Details of experience
• At least 5 years in a similar position in a project or a structure in the field of economics, energy or environmental policy, mitigation to climate change or development planning.
Job application procedure
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to [email protected]. Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line.
Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 28th May 2021. Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 2021-05-28