The mission of the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with a strong emphasis on infectious diseases through research and capacity development. IDI has six operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment, Global Health Security, Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAPcertified IDI Core Lab) and Outreach.
In order to achieve the above objectives, IDI seeks to recruit a motivated and competent Social Welfare Officer as indicated below;
Job Title : Social Welfare Officer
Vacancy Code : SWOX01
Reporting line : Principal Investigator
Classification : Fulltime
Duty station : Kampala Office
IDI will be working in the communities of Kampala and Wakiso to increase case finding for tuberculosis by involving the private sector. We will also conduct activities that empower vulnerable groups especially those affected by tuberculosis..
Role and Responsibilities
• Coordinate activities of liaison officers under the project
• Identify and maintain a register of contacts and implementation activities of different organisations working with vulnerable populations in the project implementation area
• Establish linkages with organisations working with vulnerable populations and develop a referral system
• Develop a tracking system for patients referred to partner organisations
• Coordinate skills training for liaison officers employed by the project
• Develop a tool of set criteria for assessing vulnerable women affected by TB in the project implementation area
• In liaison with the Project Coordinator, support meetings with local leaders and key people in communities covered by the project
• Organise support visits to the community for patients with TB identified in the project to support adherence and for those lost to follow-up
• Develop a system for following up patients with TB identified through the project
• Organise community outreaches to raise awareness on TB and break stigma in areas covered by the project
• Develop materials on success-stories to be used within the project to break stigma against TB
• He/she will be expected to treat each patient with dignity, respect and understanding in accordance with IDI’s philosophy.
• Degree in social sciences, psychology, gender and women’s studies
• Previous experience in TB or TB/HIV related projects is added advantage
• Experience in women empowerment
Working experience and skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills;
• Should be fluent in oral and written English;
• Should be a highly motivated person and should be able to work under a high workload;
• Competent in the use of standard office software;
• Ability to work in a team but also work independently.
• Ability to speak local language
• Flexibility to work long hours which may occasionally extend beyond normal working hours in order to complete critical tasks.
Job Education Requirements: Degree
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Job application procedure
IDI will offer a competitive remuneration package to the successful candidate.
Candidates that know that they meet the above criteria and have what it takes to excel in the above position, please send their CVs, which should include details of email address, present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the stipulated email address not later than 24th, October 2019. (Email your application and CV to email@example.com and let’s save the environment).
1. IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment fee or any other fees at any stage of the recruitment process
2. Internal candidates who meet the required specifications and have worked with IDI for a period of at least one year will be given priority.
3. Make sure that your application letter, CV and certificates are attached
as one document
4. Indicate the Vacancy Code as the subject line of your email
5. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
6. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
The Senior Human Resource Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute – IDI Knowledge Centre,
Makerere University Main Campus
College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda