University Research Co., LLC (URC)
URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn, and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition; and vulnerable children and families. In the US, we focus on improving communication related to issues like substance abuse, with a particular focus on reaching underserved populations.
URC’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide.
This anticipated 5-year USAID-funded activity seeks to accelerate progress towards Government of Uganda’s Vision 2040 goals of becoming a middle-income country, by increasing the adoption of positive reproductive health behaviors. The Voluntary Family Planning for Improved Reproductive Health and Development (FP4HD) Activity will accomplish its goal through three intermediate results (IRs): 1. Ugandan leadership and coordination strengthened to support voluntary family planning (FP); 2. Positive social norms and behaviors enhanced to improve healthy timing and spacing of pregnancies; and 3. Access to quality, voluntary family planning increased.
URC is seeking an experienced candidate for a Senior Technical Advisor position to provide technical assistance and oversight to support implementation of the Uganda FP4HD Activity. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee the Activity’s technical activities and staff
- Directly assist the Chief of Party in day-to-day oversight, management and implementation of the activity interventions
- Ensure that activity interventions are in accordance with the quality and policy requirements of USAID
- Lead the development of RH/FP service delivery strategies, policies and operational frameworks
- Provide guidance and expert advice on implementation of new or emerging service delivery initiatives/services, including youth-friendly services
- Apply cutting-edge quality improvement methods to translate best practices into improved management of RH/FP services
- Monitor the progress and pace of project implementation, ensuring that the technical aspects of the project are realized, meet high quality standards, and align with all internal controls.
- Participate in quality and timely reporting to USAID through monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Ensure that technical assistance and expertise is provided in a timely and responsive manner and is of high quality.
- Establish collaborative working relationship with the Ministry of Health, other USAID funded central and regional programs and other key RH/FP stakeholders, sharing lessons learned and best practices.
- Other additional responsibilities as assigned by the Chief of Party.
- Master’s Degree, or higher, in Social Sciences, Medicine, or Public Health; Specialization in Reproductive Health, Family Planning, or Community Health preferred.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of professional experience in delivering Family Planning or Community Health programs
- Depth and breadth of technical expertise and experience in designing and implementing comprehensive reproductive health and family planning activities across levels of government (national, local and community) and different sectors beyond health
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of community systems and how they relate with the public sector
- High level of interpersonal, technical, and analytical skills including a demonstrated ability to interact effectively and collaboratively with a broad range of public and private sector counterparts, donors, and other key stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, depth and breadth of management expertise and technical experience.
- Excellent skills and experience in collaborative working relationships with senior level government leadership at national, district and community levels
- Recognized leader in family planning, reproductive health or community health in Uganda.
- Experience with youth and adolescent sexual and reproductive health.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and oral presentation skills
- Oral and written fluency in English.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and meet tight deadlines.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, with excellent MS Word and Excel skills.