Reports to: Program Manager
AVSI is an international NGO with headquarters in Italy, which has been active in Uganda since 1984. Its current activities are focused in the areas of education, health, livelihoods, and protection, nutrition and refugee programs in Uganda.
AVSI Foundation in partnership with “Education cannot wait” (ECW) Consortium Management Unit is implementing a two-year project called “Education First” for refugees and Host community children in Primary Schools in Kyangwali Refugee Settlement and Host Communities, Kikuube District. ECW aims to strengthen the education sector and its response to the current refugee crisis.
ECW will achieve this by working to improve the Teacher; learner ratio and accelerate the provision of safe and secure learning spaces for the primary School level.
Job Summary: The Senior Education Programme Officer will support ECW3 Programme implementation in Kyangwali Refugee Settlement and the targeted host community schools. Reporting to and under the leadership of the Program Manager, the job holder will implement the AVSI Education Cannot Wait (ECW3) Project activities in Kyangwali refugee settlement towards improved equitable access to relevant learning opportunities and improved delivery of quality education and training for refugee and host community learners in Kyangwali Refugee Settlement
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct awareness raising campaigns/dialogues on the double shifting education model in the community and schools targeting teachers in the targeted primary schools and other stake holders including the district education office, Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs), School Management Committee (SMC) and the other partners working within the settlement
- Sensitize communities including local leadership, teachers, caregivers and parents on the value of education towards ensuring children access education.
- Engage teachers and the learners in the targeted primary schools to implement the double shifting education model towards addressing overcrowding and the teacher learner ratio gap.
- Collaborate with and follow up the AVSI partner LGIHE with regard to teacher trainings on disability and inclusion, refresher courses and piloting of early grade reading and numeracy programs
- Ensure safe guarding, protection and disability and gender inclusion and monitoring in all Project activities including construction, enrollments, distribution of scholastic materials, trainings among others
- Support and engage schools to make re-usable sanitary pads in addition to distribution of some project sanitary items to targeted girls
- Actively increase awareness, identify and ensure enrollment of special groups like children with disabilities, pregnant girls and child mothers
- Ensure that children with disability are provided with the necessary assistive devices
- In collaboration with the ECW program manager, the UNHCR program manager, and the UNHCR Senior education officer work towards maintain an operational relationship with UNHCR and OPM in Kyangwali Refugee settlement and Kikuube district local government particularly the education and engineering departments
- Ensure accurate and timely data collection and reporting
- Network and link with other organizations and projects including other ECW partners in Kyangwali refugee settlement and other internal AVSI projects.
- Develop plans and reports in line with timelines agreed with the Program manager and M&E office and in consistency with the ECW reporting specifications
- In collaboration with the Program manager, represent AVSI in official meetings including, ECW secretariat meetings, UNHCR Education and protection working groups, UNHCR Interagency meetings in the field as needed
- Participate in the AVSI program support initiatives as requested by the Director of Programs and or Country Representative
- Perform other duties within area of responsibility, as requested by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the AVSI Foundation Senior Education Programme Officer should hold a Bachelor of Arts/ Science in Primary School Education
- A Certificate/Diploma in Special Needs Education is an added advantage
- Three years of professional experience implementing education in emergencies
- Prior work experience in implementing Double shift school system and Early Grade Reading will be considered an added value
- Familiarity with psycho social support programs for children and youth
- Good record keeping and report writing skills
- Flexibility, good communication and interpersonal skills, presentation skills, and ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Fluency in English, and ability to speak Arabic, Runyakitara, or any other local languages spoken in the settlement is desired.
All candidates should send their application letters, accompanied with updated Curriculum Vitae indicating 3 work- related referees, plus copies of relevant certificates, should be addressed to:
The Country Representative,
P.O BOX 6785, Plot 1119,
Ggaba Road, Kampala
or sent to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the e-mail subject as ‘Application for ECW3 Senior Education Officer- AVSI Kyangwali Refugee settlement.
Hard copy applications should be submitted to field offices