Windle International Uganda (WIU) formerly Windle Trust Uganda is a registered INGO whose mission is to promote peace and development in communities through provision and coordination of Education and training for Refugees and people affected by conflict.
Since 1996, Windle International Uganda has provided access to University, Secondary, and Primary Education, as well as Early Childhood Learning and Vocational Training for Refugees and the host population.
In partnership with UNHCR and the Government of Uganda, implements Education Projects for refugees and host communities in Refugee settlements across Uganda.
WIU seeks to recruit suitably qualified persons to fill the following vacant position for its growing operations:
POSITION: Research and Innovation Officer
LOCATION: Head Office, Kampala .
Job Purpose and Scope:
The main role of the Research and Innovations Officer will be to contribute to the coordination activities required for research projects undertaken by WIU, and to the implementation of research activities led at European level within the program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Research and Innovation Officer will perform the following functions:
• Develop and implement a research agenda in line with the strategic focus of the organization
• Identify opportunities for action research that WIU can participate in and present these to the Head of Department.
• Draw up implementation maps for approved research ventures and lead research teams
• Lead the organization in the preparation of research abstracts and publication of organizational research findings and other documents for internal and external use.
• Draft research reports, executive summaries, policy briefs
• Lead in conceptualizing, designing and implementing rapid assessments on current and relevant research topics.
• Identify knowledge gaps within WIU projects as well as sector specific gaps and suggest how these can be filled within action research.
• Participate in conceptualizing, designing and implementing action research projects in WIU
• Prepare informed and standard research papers with guidance from supervisor and support from the Monitoring and Evaluation team
• Establish and maintain linkages with institutions of learning with the aim of strengthening the WIU Research function
• Train and mentor staff on research methods and report writing
• Present research findings for background research and implementation of the projects in internal or external meetings when called upon.
• Track and document all relevant policies, documents and news that are important to the work the organization does
• Work with Communications Officer to develop questions for video, audio and written interviews (of program beneficiaries, partners, volunteers and other key stakeholders).
• Document lessons learned and good practices in the organization.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The ideal candidate must have a University degree in social sciences, development studies, economics, or any other relevant field;
• Post-graduate qualification in relevant fields will be an essential requirement;
• A minimum of 3-years serving in a university, higher education learning institution, research facility and/or Non-Governmental Organisation with a research led focus.
• At least 3-years of demonstrable post-graduation experience linked to research activities, preferably conducted in an international context is desirable;
• Clear understanding of research processes and methodologies;
• Experience in analyzing qualitative and quantitative data
• Very good command of English language with Superior Presentation Skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, supporting a tactful and collaborative approach;
• Demonstrate commitment to organization’s values and principles.
• Knowledge of, and relevant experience with, statistics and statistical software
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
All interested applicants who meet the required competencies and wish to apply should visit our website on https://windleuganda.org/job-with-windle/ for instructions on how to apply.
Only applications submitted through the recommended link on the website will be accepted from 22nd March, 2021up to 5thApril, 2021
Please note that this is a re-advertised position. Individuals who responded to this advertisement in 2020 need not reapply.