We are looking for a pleasant/courteous, self-driven, enthusiastic, organised individual with great interpersonal and communication skills to fill this position in the Administration Department. The Receptionist shall be responsible for managing the reception through ensuring proper layout, as well as the meeting rooms, operational support through the provision of the necessary logistical support, payments coordination of invoices received and resource management. You’ll join a motivated, passionate, overachieving team that is positioning Educate! to be the leader in skills-based secondary education in Africa and intensively impact one million youth each year by 2024.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy.
We tackle youth unemployment by reforming what schools teach and how they teach it, so that students in Africa have the skills to start businesses, get jobs and drive development in their communities. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2019, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 750 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012, Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda’s entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015, we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform.
Educate!’s team includes nearly 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!’s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students across Africa each year.
- Reception Management – 40%
- Ensure proper layout and cleanliness of Front Office and Meeting Room including the Board-room at all times.
- Maintain a record of in-coming and out-going calls.
- Ensure proper office phone use.
- Dealing with incoming and outgoing correspondences both electronic and physical and report to concerned individuals.
- Sign for and deliver packages from courier to the respective staff.
- Note the particulars of visitors in the visitor’s sheet/Visitors book.
- Interact with visitors and vendors and provide necessary assistance to them.
- Maintaining confidentiality with regards to client information.
- Operational Support – 20%
- Provides logistical support to the operations team including Human Resource, Administration and Finance.
- Ensure Monitoring & Evaluation mentor airtime is dispatched in a timely manner.
- Human Resource support on interview follow up and documentation.
- Assist in packing of program material to the different community units.
- Assist in the management of Induction materials, carry out verification of returned items after every induction in a timely manner.
- Payment Coordination – 20%
- Ensure all invoices delivered by vendors are complete and received in time by finance
- Ensure managers approve and sign all payment documents in a timely manner
- Ensure Proper coding in terms of expense codes, budget codes on payments
- Ensure Water, Electricity and Newspaper bills are issued and paid in time
- Resource Management – 20%
- Keep an up to date catalogue of books in the resource centre and track their movement from person to person
- Encourage staff use of the resource centre through advertising available books and resources
- Monthly reports on the usage of the resource centre
- Proper filing of newspapers for future reference
- Bachelor’s Degree in Office Administration or a relevant field with at least 2 Years professional experience.
- Good interpersonal skills and Exceptional Customer handling skills, Integrity and professionalism with a Sense of urgency.
- Thrives in fast-paced team, communicates and collaborates closely with great computer skills
- Experience of at least one year working in a fast paced environment.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Benefits include Medical Insurance.
- Location is Kampala, Uganda.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 97% of our on the ground staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.