The Government of Uganda under the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) is implementing the third phase of the China Uganda South to South Cooperation Project (SSCP3); with support from the People’s Republic of China (PRC). Through technology, skills and knowledge Transfer from China to Uganda, the overall goal of the project is to upscale and commercialize specific value chains for increased exports.
The Permanent Secretary (MAAIF) wishes to invite applications from suitably qualified Ugandans to fill the positions under the SSCP3 on contract terms.
3. Job Title: Project Officer (Fisheries & Aquaculture) (PO-F&A) (1)
Reports to: National Project Coordinator
Duty Station: Entebbe with frequent field travel
Overseeing the successful planning and implementation of the Fisheries & Aquaculture related component activities under the project .
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead the implementation of all fisheries & aquaculture related activities under the project
• Ensure implementation, management and timely production of the fisheries & aquaculture related component reports in compliance with the project documents and standard procedures
• Liaise closely with the other project components to ensure implementation of the annual work-plans and budgets
• Initiate, promote and broker linkages between the key actors in the project target value chains, such as processors and traders, input suppliers and other producer organizations and services such as research, extension and quality control services
• Oversee the performance of relevant service providers for extension, research, value chain development, and others
• Provide technical guidance and backstopping on the identified project value chain development activities
• Participate in collection, analysis, storage and dissemination of targeted value chain data, as foreseen in the results framework such as for input supply, production, processing, trading, and as well as services
• Participate in monitoring and evaluation of the project
• Assess training needs for project beneficiaries in all areas of targeted fisheries & aquaculture value chain development such as agribusiness development and quality management through regular consultations with other professionals, relevant institutions and stakeholders
• Liaise with policy makers in MAAIF and other relevant ministries on lessons learnt from project execution
• In close collaboration with all project implementing entities, compile project progress reports, work plans and budgets
• Perform any other relevant duties as may be instructed by the Supervisor
Skills and Competences
• Good knowledge of participatory approaches for multi-stake holder and community-based activity planning, budgeting and accountability
• Good understanding of fisheries and aquaculture techniques, processing and general value chain development
• Knowledge of commercial strategies for agricultural commodities would be an advantage
• A professional of high standing with strong leadership and communication, facilitation and team building skills
• Good knowledge of computer applications particularly MS Excel, Word, Access and Power point
• Excellent report writing skills
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Fisheries and Aquaculture, or Zoology or Aquatic Science/Biology, Food Science and Technology or related field from a recognized university
• A post-graduate qualification in Fisheries and Aquaculture, or Zoology or Aquatic Science/Biology, Food Science and Technology, Agricultural Economics or Agribusiness or any other related field
• At least 3 years’ experience in working with government or private sector in agriculture development projects
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Fisheries and Aquaculture
Job Experience Requirements: 3 years
Job application procedure
Interested applicants should address their applications to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, P. O. Box 102, Entebbe. Applicants should also attach their curriculum vitae, academic certificates, appointment letters as evidence of working experience where applicable and two referees, one of whom must be a current or previous employer.
Applications should be delivered to the Open Registry, not later than 25th October 2019.