The Program Development Manager (PDM) is a middle-level position within the Country Office. In cooperation with Save the Children member countries and in collaboration with the country office Zambia, the PDM will identify and track donor opportunities, facilitate donor engagement, assist in the development of fundraising strategies, lead the new business and proposal decision, design and development process for all funding opportunities.
The position requires innovative thinking and creativity to package our programme strategies in ways that attract the right donor support and grow out portfolio effectively. S/He will write sections of proposals that speak to our overall capabilities, while coordinating the input of technical advisors, Operations and field office implementation staff, Supply Chain, Finance, HR and Security into proposals and budgets.
Recognising that many conversations with donors involve a review or update around current grants as well as discussions about new opportunities, the Program Development Manager will be expected to stay closely informed about the progress of all major institutional grants and able to speak to results in key reporting documents, including supporting on some review of large strategic reports.. S/he will be located in Lusaka with frequent travel to the field. The role has an external orientation, but also works very closely with SC Members.
Scope of Role:
Reports to: Director of Programme Development & Quality
Dimensions: Save the Children works in the Child Protection, Education, Health and Nutrition and Child Rights Governance across the emergency and development spectrum, humanitarian response. The program has highly integrated multi-sectoral approaches to address some of the most complicated issues affecting children in Zambia, including child marriage, education quality, chronic and acute malnutrition and multi-dimensional poverty. .
Key Areas of Accountability:
• As a member of the Zambia Country Programme, demonstrate behaviours that are consistent with Save the Children’s Mission, Vision and Values and ensure their broader application by staff across the programme.
• Contribute to a conducive and productive work environment typified by team work and collaboration;
• Contribute to the wider country programme agenda.
• Support the effective implementation the SCI Programme Quality Framework
• Carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way that reflects Save the Children’s commitment to safeguarding children, in accordance with our Code of Conduct and Child Safeguarding Policy.
• Ensure a child rights approach with integrated child participation, resilience, protection, and gender strategies across all our thematic areas from design to implementation.
New Program Development
• Reporting to the Director of Programme Quality and Development (DPDQ) develop and submit a comprehensive Business Development Strategy and Process, in line with the Country Strategy, for SMT contributions and approval
• Oversee the implementation and follow-up of Business Development Strategy and Process, reporting monthly to the DPDQ.
• Identify, research, and disseminate information on new funding opportunities from bilateral, multi-lateral, and other institutional donors. Use creative approaches to link SCI and Zambia programme ambitions to donor priorities, while also effectively contributing to SCI Zambia and Save the Children Members’ efforts to influence the strategies of donors.
• Support the cultivation of business relationships with external stakeholders and potential partners for large scale or strategic funding opportunities and help shape and contribute to strategies and ambitions for priming or subbing in joint ventures.
• Track upcoming funding opportunities and donor engagement strategy and processes, providing monthly updates to the SMT.
Facilitate donor engagement
• Lead the development and regular updating of the donor engagement strategy, in line with the funding strategy, to assist in growing the Zambia portfolio, consistent with the Country Strategy
• Cultivate excellent working relationships with donor agencies at regional and country level as appropriate and in close collaboration with the DPDQ and Programs
• Participate in any donor visit to project(s) within the country office portfolio, as needed.
• Support regular donor check-in/update visits with major institutional donors in Zambia
• Work with technical advisors and SMT colleagues to set ambitious targets for donor engagement and to influence donor strategies.
Coordinate program design and proposal development
• Directly manage the development of high-value, complex proposals or bids, building on global, regional and national SCI Technical and Thematic expertise, ensuring the highest quality products are submitted to the member and the donor.
• Coordinate closely with Save the Children members to kick-off, plan and effectively carryout the proposal development process, supporting the coordination and implication of technical and awards staff in both offices, ensuring regular communication and updating of members throughout the process.
• Drive interdepartmental coordination for programme and proposal development, including ensuring the identification of a Technical Advisors lead and in close cooperation and inclusion of the Operations, particularly the field office team implementation and technical teams, Supply Chain (procurement and other logistical needs), Security, Awards Management (risk management and compliance), Finance (activity and support costings, etc), and HR (for staffing requirements).
• Ensure full internal review and sign-off as per the proposal development process.
Behaviors (Values in Practice)
• holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
• holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
• sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
• widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
• future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
• builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
• values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
• approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
• develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Qualification and Experience
Commitment to Save the Children values, including willingness to abide by and enforce the Child Safeguarding policy Skilled in social sciences, development area with a relevant masters’ degree. Proven track record in producing winning bids, proposals, and reports for institutional donors, corporations and others, with excellent writing skills Proven ability to design high quality programs Recommended 5-7 years’ experience in both an emergency and development contexts, preferably with solid experience in at least 2 priority sectors of Save the Children: education, protection, child rights governance, health and nutrition or child poverty.
Excellent coordination, organisational and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, and pull together input from a diverse team. Excellent writing/editing, reporting, budget development and presentation/communication skills. Experience in presenting project information to donors and partners. Experience in coordinating development of large-scale or strategic proposals, including the development of multi-million dollar project budgets.
Proven representation skills. Cultural awareness mastering and ability to work in an international environment with people from many diverse backgrounds and cultures. Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets. Experience in solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward. Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner.
Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies. Fluency in English and French, both verbal and written, required.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Interested applicants please visit: https://stcuk.taleo.net/careersection/iam/accessmanagement/login.jsf?lang=en&redirectionURI=https%3A%2F%2Fstcuk.taleo.net%2Fcareersection%2Fapplication.jss%3Ftype%3D1%26lang%3Den%26portal%3D101430233%26reqNo%3D63028&TARGET=https%3A%2F%2Fstcuk.taleo.net%2Fcareersection%2Fapplication.jss%3Ftype%3D1%26lang%3Den%26portal%3D101430233%26reqNo%3D63028