Job Title : Procurement Assistant
Department : Emergency Program
Supervisor : Emergency Operations Manager
Grade : 4
Position Type: Full-time
About Catholic Relief Services:
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. CRS’ Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations, serving people on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs.
CRS has worked in Uganda since 1965, initially providing emergency assistance to Sudanese refugees living in the north. Over the years, CRS has expanded its programming to also address development needs in western, central and eastern Uganda. CRS’ projects in Uganda currently include agriculture, health, microfinance, peacebuilding and youth. CRS Uganda implements its programs through partnerships with local organizations, including the Catholic Church, other faith-based organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability.
The ongoing political crisis and fratricidal conflict in South Sudan, which started in December 2013, has forced more than two million South Sudanese refugees to flee to neighboring countries, according to UNHCR. Uganda has accepted almost half of them, mostly in a series of settlements in the West Nile sub-region of northwestern Uganda, just across the border from South Sudan. CRS is currently implementing emergency WASH, livelihoods and shelter and infrastructure projects in Bidibidi Refugee Settlement. Program implementation targets the most vulnerable households of refugee and host communities
You will effectively perform various activities throughout the procurement cycle to assist the acquisition of goods and services in support of the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your abilities will allow you to successfully support the quality and efficiency of procurement and purchasing activities applying the principles of stewardship, integrity, transparency, and accountability. .
• Supports requestors to complete and input comprehensive Requests for Goods and Services in Project Insight
• Assists with the maintenance of the procurement plan and the procurement tracking tool to facilitate timely communication of procurement/purchase needs, status updates on progress of all orders, and effective and efficient service delivery.
• Assists the Procurement Officer in the continuous search for competent, reputable, and reliable suppliers of goods or services.
• Visits suppliers (company site, stores, and/or production facilities) to collect information and support the due diligence process.
• Purchases items following CRS procurement documents (i.e. Purchase Order), instructions, and standards.
• Coordinates with CP Procurement and ensure all the supporting documentation is accurate and on file to assist the timely payment to vendors; and, follows up with requestors, suppliers, and other relevant parties to address any deficiencies and/or discrepancies.
• Maintenance of complete and accurate procurement master files, vendor files, and other procurement-related records following established standards
Education and Experience:
• University diploma required. Bachelor’s Degree a plus.
• Minimum of 2 years work experience in supporting procurement/purchasing, logistics, and/or administration processes and activities.
• Good writing skills.
• Knowledge of local market conditions.
• Knowledge in MS Office package (Excel and Word).
• Strong attention to detail with good organizational, time management and prioritization skills.
• Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized organizational codes of ethics
• Strong customer service orientation with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results oriented.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Head of Office in Yumbe, Procurement Manager, Procurement Officers in Kampala and CRS staff
Agency-Wide Competencies (for all CRS staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
• Serves with Integrity
• Models Stewardship
• Cultivates Constructive Relationships
• Promotes Learning
Job application procedure
This job description is not an exhaustive list of skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a
part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
NOTE: To apply, please follow these instructions exactly otherwise your application will NOT be considered:
• Email a cover letter and CV only to email@example.com by February 22nd, 2021 at 5:00pm.
• Large files and/or scans of documents will lead to rejection of your application, in the subject line of the email, copy and paste – PROCUREMENTASSISTANT only
• All applications that do not contain this exact subject line will be rejected and not read
ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED. EOE/M/F/D/V