Mercy Corps exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Operating in Uganda since 2006, Mercy Corps has field offices in Kitgum, Gulu, Kotido, Moroto, Arua, Yumbe, Amudat and Kaabong and implements programs that cover a wide variety of program sectors including food security, health/nutrition, water/sanitation, peace building, youth, agriculture, and econ development.
OPERATIONS MANAGER – 01 VACANCY BASED IN KOTIDO
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now,and for the future.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The Operations Manager provides general management and leadership for all program support functions at the country office level including operations and security. The Operations Manager proactively and informatively communicates and coordinates the program support functions with Mercy Corps staff in program implementation area managed from Kotido. S/he will be responsible for all aspects of operations: procurement, logistics, administration and security in the same area. This position requires about 10% travel to various districts in the region. .
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy & Vision
• Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
• Set direction of program support department by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
• Work with the Operations Director and senior management team to support the growth of the program portfolio, formulate strategies and plans.
• Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
• Interface with government and non-government stakeholders responsible for coordinating all supply shipments via the appropriate approval processes.
• Maintain productive relationships with all government, ministries, other stakeholders, vendors, suppliers, etc.
OPERATIONS – administration
• Ensure administrative systems are implemented as described in the Field Administration Manual.
• Oversee set-up and development of Mercy Corps offices including drafting and reviewing contracts for office and housing space, leasehold improvements, IT.
• Develop and periodically review country or field office specific policies and communicate them to teams.
• Oversee database and file management for administration, procurement, logistics resources documents.
• Ensure all aspects of asset management including maintenance of asset register and investigation of missing assets.
• Oversee facility management, including housing and office leases; ensure that security standards are maintained at all premises.
• Be responsible for any necessary expatriate visas
• Ensure that Mercy Corps contracts and business transactions/relationships are transparent and in compliance with Ugandan law and Mercy Corps/donor policies.
• Support program start-up through the administration of support teams across various field locations.
• Create and maintain operations systems to ensure effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
ETHICS AND INTEGRITY:
All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
• Commitment to capacity building and team coordination.
• Experience working INGOs or businesses in operational functions
• Good organizational and management skills and the ability to anticipate project needs.
• Proven ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment, and in a diverse group of national and international staff.
• Must be able to advise staff on program and office activities and security issues.
• Demonstrated proficiency with the MS Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.
• Fluent in both written and spoken English
Knowledge and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Procurement and Logistics Management or a closely related field.
• A post graduate qualification in the above disciplines is highly desirable. A professional qualification such as CIPS is an added advantage.
• At least 5+ years of relevant management experience with 2+ years of supervisory experience
• Sound understanding procurement, administration, and logistics management systems.
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration
Job Experience Requirements: 5+ years
Job application procedure
Submit your application through email to email@example.com addressed to the Human Resource Director, Mercy Corps Uganda. Include a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates. Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Friday 11th October 2019. Subject of email/envelope should include the position you are applying for. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. PLEASE NOTE that previous applicants do not need to re-apply.