Makerere University Joint AIDS Program (MJAP) is a private-not-for profit Company under Makerere University. MJAP works to build partnerships and strengthen health systems to optimally respond to HIV/AIDS, TB, Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and other diseases of public health importance in Africa.
MJAP is implementing a sub-award grant from Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI), for accelerating HIV/AIDS Epidemic Control in the Kampala region; with funding from the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
MJAP is seeking a competent, passionate and dynamic individual to fill the position of a Nurse.
Role Title: Nurse
Reports to: ISS Clinic Manager
Duty Station: Kampala
Role definition: To provide continuous comprehensive nursing care and treatment to HIV/AIDS patients in line with MJAP clinical guidelines and procedures. .
Duties and Responsibilities
• Receive patients and their files, assess, take patients’ vital signs (blood pressure, weight, respiratory rate, heart rate, and temperature) and organize them for investigations, forward them to clinicians and counselors according to urgency and need of the patient in line with the program guidelines and procedures.
• Review patients’ prescriptions, explain the procedure and possible side effects and administer the drug(s) in line with program guidelines and procedures.
• Conduct both initial and on-going counseling; attend to clinical nurse’s only visits (clerking, examination and prescription of drugs) to stable patients in line with program guidelines and procedures.
• Assess, prepare and conduct health education talks to patients and implement infection control practices in the clinic in line with program guidelines and procedures.
• Give reproductive health services including family planning and cervical cancer screening services to clients in line with program guidelines and procedures.
• Collect, document and keep nursing records in line with program guidelines and procedures.
• Assess, maintain and organize the clinic stock (drugs, equipment, and sundries) in line with program guidelines and procedures.
• Provide continuous on job guidance to Nursing Assistants and expert clients in controlling clinic flow and performing general health education talks in line with program guidelines and procedures
• Integrity, confidentiality, and emotional control
• Team player, ability to empathize and be patient, with nursing and counseling skills.
• Time management and ability to work under pressure; with minimum supervision
• Ability to engage with partners and all Health care providers from MoH and other Institutions
• Diploma in Nursing or related discipline
• Must be registered with the Nurses council
• At least 2 years’ experience in comprehensive HIV management; in a busy clinic setting
• Special knowledge in the management of HIV/AIDS and related complications,
Job Education Requirements: Diploma in Nursing
Job Experience Requirements: 2 years
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified candidates should apply via the email below and submit their cover letters, a detailed curriculum vitae and copies of relevant academic documents to email@example.com addressed to; The Human Resource Manager, Makerere University Joint AIDS Program (MJAP), not later than 16th January 2020 by 5:00 pm.
Please ensure that your attachments do not exceed 5 MB.
We do appreciate your interest to work with MJAP. However, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 2 weeks after the submission deadline.