Reporting Unit/Supervisor: iMH-CARE Program Manager
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Travel: Kampala, Wakiso
For nearly 50 years, AKF has been partnering with communities, governments and local leaders to harness the best from people from all backgrounds to improve the quality of life. The Foundation’s work is rooted in core values of self-reliance, pluralism, and respect for human dignity. AKF is a member of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), one of the world’s leading poverty solutions networks. The AKDN’s integrated approach makes long-term investments, builds permanent institutions and cultivates an active civil society, impacting tens of millions of people annually in 30 countries. Alongside its sister AKDN agencies, the AKF implements innovative, community-driven solutions that are based on decades of experience, learning and evaluation.
This position will lead the Monitoring Evaluation Research and Learning aspects of the Integrated Primary Care Model for Mental health in a Decentralized System in Uganda (iMH-CARE Uganda) program, specifically ensuring coordinated and quality delivery of component 1 interventions. iMH-CARE will be implemented by the Aga Khan Foundation Uganda (AKFU) in partnership with YouBelong Uganda (YBU). Together, we will design and deliver a comprehensive mental health system strengthening project in Kampala and Wakiso districts of Uganda.
The project will develop a range of population wide and targeted SBCC interventions to sustainably increase demand for mental health prevention, treatment and support services in Kampala and Wakiso, from January 2020 to December 2022. The M&E Officer will develop a robust Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) strategy to track progress and document lessons to inform internal programming and broader mental health dialogues. This position requires an exemplary and innovative person with specific hands-on knowledge and skills in monitoring, and reporting of SBCC programs, with an understanding of sociocultural and economic issues related to health. S/he will play a leading role in monitoring the impact of the SBCC intervention strategies and frameworks; hence this will require an experienced person with skills to manage. The person should have the capacity to work under minimum supervision with resilience and should be detail- and results-oriented, have strong conceptual, analytical, and reporting skills, with expertise in information gathering, analysis and timely reporting. He/she will uphold the high image and core values of the organization, with outstanding professionalism, social conduct, and personal presentation.
a) Monitoring and Evaluation
- Lead the overall design and operationalization of a performance monitoring framework for the program, including the appropriate indicators and data collection tools/methodologies appropriate to SBCC programming
- Develop and implement a quality assurance mechanism to provide most objective and evidence-based feedback to management on project performance: coordinate regular project monitoring and evaluation process activities, while providing data quality assurance checks; including overseeing data collection, processing, data transfer, entry, verification, and cleaning systems, coordinating logistics with relevant authorities, getting them ready for purpose
- Lead the design of baseline studies, project evaluations, focus group discussions including protocols and tools for data collection.
- Periodically write and share with the Program Coordinator, project progress and results, and flag quality concern issues; i.e. quarterly, bi-annually and annually.
- Effectively manage and supervise interns or consultants periodically recruited to support the project.
- Develop ToRs and contracts for M&E consultancies related to the project.
- Build capacity of other staff, especially Programme Officers, on M&E issues, including techniques for data collection, synthesis and reporting/sharing usage;
- Establish and effectively manage project information database; appraise it on a regular basis.
- Draft reports, including communications to relevant partners for internal review by the Program Coordinator before sharing with the AKF-U Country Office team and the relevant parties in accordance with set procedures.
- Ensure that data is well disaggregated and captures the various gender dynamics in the program
- Effectively manage and supervise all staff under your department and appraise the staff that report directly to you; providing relevant technical support, coaching and mentorship, including specialized support as may be required/deemed necessary.
- Perform other relevant duties as and when assigned, by or via the Country Manager, Programme Manager and senior management team.
b) Learning and Development:
- Guide programme staff and implementing partners in preparing progress reports. Support analyses of reports in terms of problems and actions needed.
- In collaboration with the programme manager, review monitoring reports, analyse them for impact evaluation and to identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in programme implementation.
- Foster participatory planning and monitoring by training and involving project beneficiaries and staff in the M&E of activities.
- Organize and provide refresher training in M&E to programme staff and implementing partners and primary beneficiaries.
- In collaboration with programme management, plan for regular opportunities to identify lessons learned and implications for programme improvements.
- In collaboration with programme and country level management, ensure that M&E information is informing policy dialogue.
- In collaboration with programme and country level management, explore external funding possibilities for strategic research and evaluation work that enhances programme effectiveness.
- Assist in supervising organizations and consultants that are contracted to implement special surveys and studies required for evaluating programme impact.
d) Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in development studies, statistics, economics or related field. Post Graduate qualifications in M&E is an added advantage
- Relevant M&E experience of at least 4 years with health programs or studies is desired
- Strong computer and analytics skills, along with experience managing complex data sets, using different analysis tools is required
- Strong report writing skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse audiences in English.
Candidates interested in this unique career opportunity with AKF should submit a cover letter, CV and the names and contact information of three professional referees via e-mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Monitoring & Evaluation Officer’ in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“AKF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is Committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and Vulnerable Adults and Expects all Staff and Partners to Share this Commitment.”