The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist reports directly to the Director of Programs who is based in Fort Portal and Kampala, Uganda. Monitoring and Evaluation, Data and Information Processes and Systems
Location: Fort Portal, Uganda
Start Date: January 2019
Salary Range: 18M UGX- 24M per annum
KadAfrica is looking for an experienced Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist, full time, to be based in Fort Portal, Uganda with travel to expansion districts and occasional travel to Kampala. Please note location base in Fort Portal is non-negotiable.
KadAfrica is an award-winning social enterprise committed to the empowerment of young women and girls. KadAfrica works primarily in Western Uganda from its base in Fort Portal, with current and planned expansion to refugee settlements across Uganda. We support out-of-school girls aged 14-24 who have had little or no schooling by providing them with a package of passion fruit seedlings, tools, and training over a planting season. Because the overall objective of the program is women and girls’ empowerment, the training we provide is comprehensive and includes agriculture (passion fruit farming), financial/business skills, as well as health education. In the past 6 years, over 2,400 young women and girls have benefited from the program. Additionally, KadAfrica’s outgrower program provides quality seedlings and extension services to outgrower famers, diversifying our supply chain, and providing rural smallholder farmers with an additional source of income.
Our Vision: KadAfrica envisions a world where out-of-school girls are economic drivers of their communities. We use passion fruit farming as a vehicle for girls to build their own support systems to become independent and empowered decision makers. By equipping girls with the knowledge, skills, and assets to begin their own passion fruit farming cooperatives, KadAfrica girls become financially literate, entrepreneurial leaders generating income through agribusiness. This girl-powered vertically integrated value chain creates vibrant rural communities, and allows us to provide the highest quality fruit at a consistent price, year-round.
Our Mission: KadAfrica seeks to reinvigorate commercial fruit production in Uganda by building resilient farming communities founded upon the empowerment of young women through the cultivation of passion fruit.
We also aim to create a secure and sustainable market for smallholder farmers by establishing ourselves as a reliable domestic processor of passion fruit in Uganda.
Objective of the Role
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist is a key hire for the organization at this exciting time in our growth trajectory and will guide our M&E direction during our expansion across Uganda and East Africa.
This role will help us deliver robust and rigorous systems and processes for monitoring and evaluation in order to make data-based decisions across our programs and produce high-quality reports on our impact.
· Revise and develop the overall framework, implementation, and internal evaluation, for KadAfrica’s Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) plan, for example mid-term project review, impact assessment, final evaluation
· Review and improve the quality of existing data in the project subject areas, the methods of collecting it, and the degree to which it provides rigorous baseline statistics for impact evaluation
· Revise existing and develop new M&E tools including pre-program and post-program surveys, and tools for mid-term results
· Play a key role in the development and maintenance of data collection and evaluation systems
· Play a key role in the development of routine project reports
· Develop, coordinate, and maintain internal knowledge products for improved design and implementation, and external knowledge products to demonstrate the role of KadAfrica as a leader in the agriculture, gender, and youth livelihood sectors
· Train data collectors and supervise routine data collection
· Database management and data cleaning
· Identify, design and coordinate implementation of the project’s key research activities and questions, including operations research, program performance evaluations, impact evaluations and/or rapid/ special studies
· Lead a robust learning agenda, designing and implementing mechanisms for continuous learning, collaboration, and adaptation for project staff, partners, donors, government counterparts and other stakeholders.
· A Bachelor’s degree in statistics, public health, gender, economics, or another related field
· A minimum of 4 years of demonstrated and progressive and relevant experience in M&E.
· Experience in strategic planning approaches – including, needs assessment and programs design, logical framework development, selecting indicators, implementing monitoring plans, co- coordinating evaluations and data analysis
· Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills and ability to articulate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences
· Practical and proven expertise in both statistical and data management programs in two or more SAS, SPSS, STATA, GIS and one or more of ODK, Kobo Toolbox or other similar data collection platforms
· Computer proficiency in general office software applications (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Google Suite)
· Demonstrated experience in M&E in two or more of agriculture, SRHR, gender, and/or youth livelihood programs
· Strong interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills in English
· Master’s Degree in M&E, statistics, public health, research methods, or related field preferred
We offer a challenging, key position for the right candidate within a startup environment. KadAfrica is a result-oriented organization staffed by a dedicated team highly driven to transform agriculture in East Africa through a farmer-led supply chain and agro-processing business model. We offer a salary commensurate with the role and with what is common within the social enterprise sector in East Africa. Initial contract period will be for one year (inclusive of 6 months’ probation), with a possibility of extension.
Please send your CV, cover letter, and work samples by e-mail to:
with subject line: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist Application, clearly demonstrating how your career background and experience qualifies you for this position
For candidates selected for an interview, references will be required.