Lutheran World Federation (LWF) is part of the Lutheran World Federation Department for World Service (LWF-DWS), an international humanitarian and development agency.
LWF Uganda works to reduce people’s vulnerability, supporting them to realize their potential, to build on their assets, and to respond to their own problems and needs. LWF, Lamwo Sub Program seeks to recruit dynamic, innovative humanitarian / social and or community workers for the following vacancy.
Legal Assistant-01 Position
Directly reports to-Legal Officer
Responsible for- Community Based Facilitator (CBF)/ structures.
Location- Palabek Settlement -Lamwo District
Under the guidance of the Legal Officer, the Legal Assistant is responsible for providing technical support to the legal Department in planning, implementing and coordinating activities of LWF
legal Department, ensure compliance with laws and regulations, and ensure best practices in the legal Department. .
Main Duties & Responsibilities
• The incumbent will support Legal Officer with implementation of all the planned activities and accomplishing of targets as scheduled.
• Provide legal counselling to Refugees and Asylum Seekers.
• The incumbent will educate refugees on the refugee law in Uganda and interpretation of the laws.
• Actively participate in all the community activities where necessary and as guided by the Legal Officers and handle legal issues raised by clients.
• Carry out follow-ups on cases reported from time to time as guided by the supervisor and provide a report
• Attend and participate in Staff meetings and other meetings with stakeholders in the legal line of work
• Support the Legal Officer with support from Project Officer peaceful co-existence in driving peaceful co-existence in the Refugee Settlement.
• The incumbent will identify, assess and develop strategies to mitigate against organization risks related to the Legal Department.
• Ensure compliance with the existing laws of Uganda.
• Carry cut all necessary actions to ensure that the organization meets its legal requirements.
• Provide support in developing and implementing internal review problem to ensure that the organization complies with legal procedures and regulations.
• Provide support to the Legal Officer in ensuring proper and timely submission of work plans, procurement plans and all other manpower plans.
• Assist in carrying out needs assessment to enhance proposal development.
• Lead and manage CBFs, (paralegals) ensuring clarity over plans and priorities, providing supervision, guidance and mentoring, encouraging effective team work and inclusiveness and building a team spirit through regular meetings and events and clear reporting mechanisms for each team member
• Assist with defining the required team composition and structure for the operational programme in accordance with LWF standard structure
• Agree on clear performance objectives for reports in appraisal and ensuring there are appropriately set objectives and that appraisals are undertaken in a timely Manner
• Be responsible for CBFs, (paralegals) development, coaching and mentoring to enhance their capacity
• Support in the recruitment process of the CBFs; staff requisition, long and short listing, development of structured questions, recommendations for the best suited-candidates and onboarding orientation and induction.
Financial management / Budget Monitoring & Control:
• Support the Legal Officer in budget formulation and review.
• Make payment requests for field payments of implemented activities.
Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting:
• Keep Records of the Legal Department, manage and update all cases handled by the Department by inputting them in individual Case Sheets.
• Conduct field visits as required and compile reports for the Legal Officers for further intervention and appropriate management of cases.
• Ensure all documents and project activities are in compliance with LWF Standard Operating Procedures and Policies.
• Document the best practices implemented, success stories and case studies at the community level for dissemination and learning
• Undertake other related Duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Supervisor
Special Skills, Aptitude or personality Requirements
• Excel lent communication skills.
• High level of integrity.
• Computer literate with knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, MS power point.
• Problem Solving and Decision-Making skills;
• Ability to inspire and build capacity of national staff;
• Good interpersonal skills and excellent negotiation skills;
• Excellent English Language (both written and spoken);
• Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines;
• Good team worker with good communication skills;
• Ability to exercise sound judgment, to remain flexible to a changing environment, and to make decisions independently.
Education Qualifications & Experience Required
• The Ideal Candidate should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in law from a recognized University/institution
• Post graduate diploma in law practice center will be and added advantage
• At least 2years work experience.
• Broad knowledge’ and understanding of humanitarian/refugee laws will be an added advantage
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in law
Job Experience Requirements: 2years
Job application procedure
Terms of Conditions
The successful applicant will Serve for the period indicated above with a possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
Starting Date: immediate
Applications and detailed CV must include email address and telephone contacts of 3 referees. Hard copies should be submitted during working days, Monday to Friday (8:00am to 5:00pm) addressed to the Administrive/HR Officer, LWF Lamwo Sub Program and reach by close of business on 25th January 2020.
Please deliver at our Subprogram office in Lamwo-Palabek Kal.
LWF/DWS is an equal opportunity employer, irrespective of gender, or religious affiliation. Female candidates possessing the above requirements are encouraged to apply. LWF/DWS is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for humanitarian agencies. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect the organization’s commitment to the prevention of abuse and exploitation of beneficiaries, Knowledge of the local
Language is a MUST and a VALID Ridding permit for all the Project Assistant position and valid driver permit for Driver Position. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted