Position: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist
Supervisor: Program Coordinator
Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
The Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration (GVTC) is an intergovernmental organization established through the GVTC treaty signed in 2015 between DRC, Rwanda and Uganda. GVTC is Transboundary Collaboration Framework for programs and activities on wildlife conservation and tourism development within the Greater Virunga Landscape, which covers the Central Albertine Rift (CAR) and shared by the three countries of Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Uganda.
The GVTC’s goal is the improving conservation of species, habitants, and ecological services contributing to increased socio-economic benefits to the people of the CAR, through effective transboundary collaboration. GVTC works with and through partners towards synergizing the conservation efforts across the three countries. The Greater Virunga Landscape comprises seven national parks and one wildlife reserve disseminated along the shared boundaries of the three countries.
The Vision of the Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration is: “The Central Albertine Tran frontier Protect Area network together with surrounding landscape is conserved sustainability” while the goal is: “Sustainable conservation of the Central Albertine Rift for long term socio-economic development through strategic transboundary collaboration management,”
It is against this background that GVTC is hiring a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist for a 3-year contract of employment in order to strengthen its capacity for the effective management of the Greater Virunga.
Primary purpose of the position
This Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist in GVTC will be responsible of all hands-on and day-to-day Geographic Information Systems (GIS) aspects; In designing, developing, implement and maintaining systems and databases to access and store geospatial data; and to analyze this data utilizing mapping software, design digital maps using geospatial data and analyze spatial and non-spatial information according to the needs of the Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration (GVTC).
The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist is responsible for GIS as the computer-based process that is used to collect, manage, analyze, model, and present geographic or spatial data according to the needs of Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Supporting in the development and management of GIS applications that are based on growing and improving business demands;
• Overseeing the planning and coordination of GIS activities to meet the outlined goals;
• Developing and managing control quality standards for system application
• Overseeing data flow, management, and distribution activities that are aimed at supporting GIS System for GVTC;
• Supporting and participating in the designing and development of the geospatial database;
• Maintaining up-to-date and accurate geospatial documentation for reference purposes;
• Staying up to date or abreast with the latest developments in the GIS field;
• Giving support in the development of a work plan for projects;
• Efficiently managing geospatial database and developing effective maps and aerial photography;
• Using the GIS software, the GIS specialist will load different layers according to the needs of GVTC;
• Using various criteria to examine and analyze information, designing databases and connecting GIS with other technologies;
• Cooperating with other partners and stakeholders in conservation of GVL;
• Performing data capture and analysis for GIS product, inserting various types of data into GIS databases, such as texts or spreadsheet files that contain longitude and latitude coordinates, aerial or satellite imagery, tabular data, and digitizing paper maps or map images manually;
• Using desktop GIS to analyze data and create maps for internal purposes, and also participating in the launching and supporting of online and mobile maps for public;
• To exercise constant monitoring on GIS based technologies and advise to GVTC management the proposal to adopt;
• Recommend methods and technologies required in GIS to maximize the efficiency of GVTC operations and implementation of Transboundary activities;
• Participate in Strategic planning related to GIS;
• Participate in the process of GIS software tenders;
• Other Duties as assigned by the GVTC Management.
Working condition, Skills, Qualification and Duration of contract
The holder of this position of GIS Specialist will be based in the GVTC headquarters in Kigali, with frequent travel to GVTC geographical scope ranging in 3 countries where the implementation of GVTC activities are carried out.
Given the working environment, the GIS specialist should meet the following requirements:
• High analytical thinking to effectively analyze information and databases
• Good oral and written communication and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate and work with departmental staff, the management and the stakeholders in GVL conservation.
• Profound GIS knowledge, as a GIS specialist is expected to work with various GIS tools
• Ability to pay particular attention to details to work with databases and also analyze information
• Several years of proven work experience either professionally or through an internship especially with international organization,
• A Master’s Degree in a discipline where GIS is highlighted as a major; or a Bachelor Degree in a similar field but with a 7-year proven experience;
• Excellent knowledge of English both spoken and writing;
• Knowledge of French will be an added advantage;
• High result, strong orientation, drive for excellency and self- motivation,
• Excellent team player abilities and have a keen client focus;
• Proactive with ability to take decision;
• A driving license category B at least with 3 years of experience is an added advantage
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should send in hard copy, their motivation letter addressed to the GVTC Executive Secretary including Detailed CV; Certified academic document, a driving license class B with at least three years of experience, to the Greater Virunga Transboundary Collaboration in Rugando- Kimihurura, via Kigali International Airport Road, KN 5 RD, KG 6 Av #16-Building- Opposite Cari Apartments, Mob. +250 788573965 or electronically by Email: [email protected] with a copy to [email protected] and [email protected] latest on July 8, 2021 before 5:00 pm.
Only the shortlisted candidate will be contacted.