VACANCY FOR FOOD DISTRIBUTION MANAGER
(VA NO: AFOD/EXT/16/20/001)
DURATION: 6 MONTHS RENEWABLE SUBJECT TO PERFORMANCE AND AVAILABILITY OF FUNDING.
Background: Alliance Forum for Development-AFOD Uganda is a non-profit, non-governmental organization working with humanitarian and development partners to address the needs of conflict affected population, rural and urban poor communities in Uganda to address their real needs in areas of health, nutrition, food security and livelihoods, environmental health, protection and psychosocial support, and research.
Main job summary: Under the direct supervision of the Emergency Coordinator, the incumbent will coordinate timely operation of all food distribution processes with stakeholders and manage General Food Assistance (GFA) AFOD team members and contracted community casual staff. Provide support to ensure timely and efficient provision of assistance to affected population.
Major Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate timely operation of all GFA Food commodity distribution processes with stakeholders – OPM, WFP, UNHCR, Local Government Leadership and service provider (EDP Management & Secondary Transporter) to verified and registered beneficiaries.
- Provide day to day oversight and management of food distribution planned under GFA to affected population by WFP including facilitating implementation and monitoring of GFA in area of operation.
- Periodically review GFA responses in accordance with the WFP policy and WFP Uganda GFA guidelines for affected population.
- Closely coordinate with M&E Unit to ensure that relevant output and outcome indicators for GFA interventions are systematically being collected and analyzed in a manner that will help the CO determine efficiency and effectiveness of food delivery.
- Work with the MEAL team to establish and implement feedback/complaints mechanisms on GFA Programme. This will include documenting all cases reported related to Food Assistance program and ensuring that they are handled and references made to the responsible partners.
- Ensure effective budget management and administration of project finances, including adherence to organizational and World Food Program (WFP) financial management guidelines.
- Supervise AFOD Uganda Food Distribution team members and contracted community casual staff and provide support to ensure timely provision of assistance to affected population.
- Conduct regular community sensitization with affected population Food Management Committee and Refugee Welfare on general food assistance.
- Prepare and submit activity, daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports to Head of Field Office.
- Perform other assigned duties by supervisor.
Minimum qualifications & experience required.
- Bachelors’ degree in any discipline related to food security and livelihood. Experiences in managing food security & livelihoods.
- Experience in management of large-scale food distributions in a complex humanitarian environment with an international or multinational organization.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of humanitarian programmes.
- Demonstrated experience of integrated gender and diversity issues into humanitarian programmed including accountability for Affected Population.
In addition to the above qualifications and experience, the applicant should possess the following core competences:
- Sensitivity, diplomacy, tact, good communication skills, and ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to understand complex security situations and adjust operations accordingly.
- Ability and willingness to live and work in remote field locations under basic conditions.
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills.
- Good administrative skills in order to work with people at managerial and senior government levels.
- The ability to present concise reports, sometimes on short notice.
- Ability to coordinate activities with other agencies, build and maintain positive working relationships.
- Flexibility, willingness to travel and work in difficult circumstances.
- Good understanding of humanitarian protection standard, Sphere Minimum Standards, gender issues and
- Code of conduct as relevant to food distribution activities.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English.
- Computer literacy.
Application: Submit your application through email to
clearly stating the position, vacancy reference and location in the subject
or by hand delivery to
Kampala Head Office on
Plot 17 Charles Lwanga Road Ntinda,
Adjumani Field Office on Kelvin road,
the AFOD Moyo Office and Palorinya Base Camp, addressed to the Human Resource Officer. Include a cover letter clearly stating the position, vacancy reference, and location, CV (with 3 referees), copies of the academic qualifications/certificates. The email attachment should be a single PDF document including the cover letter, CV and academic documents.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by AFOD Uganda. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.