Duration: 14 months contract
ORGANISATIONAL UNIT: BLOOM, Ibero Coffee Uganda.
Ibero Coffee Uganda is a company of the Neumann Kaffee Gruppe and one of the leading
exporters of high-quality coffee, with warehouses and processing facilities in Kampala and out-
stations in all major coffee growing regions of Uganda. Since 1994, when the company was
founded, Ibero Coffee Uganda has been working towards better integration in the local market,
and has become a professional, long term faithful trading partner in the coffee sector. Over the
years, Ibero Coffee Uganda has developed an export operation that has placed us in a
privileged position as one of the most reliable exporters of carefully selected, properly
processed Uganda Coffee. Our commitment towards the development of the coffee industry is
unwavering and we are proud to share our success in the promotion of Uganda coffee.
In line with the above, Ibero Coffee Uganda has set up its NKG BLOOM department, as the
sustainable buying strategy for Ibero Uganda. The Farmer Services Unit belongs to the
BLOOM department, with the view to improve access to fertilizer input for coffee growing
farmers in Uganda. The objective is to improve farmers’ livelihood through boosting coffee
production and better integration of coffee farmers in the coffee export value chain. In order to
become closer to all farmers, including women coffee farmers, Ibero Uganda has developed a
Gender Household Approach (GHA). In order to reinforce the implementation of its GHA, Ibero
Uganda is recruiting a Field Gender Officer.
Key Result Areas
• To implement a thorough gender mainstreaming approach to project farmers, with focus at household level, to promote gender equality and participation of women in income generation, planning and decision making on use of income.
• To train, support and coordinate field project teams on integration of gender in project activities.
• To liaise with the other team members for collection of gender disaggregated information, data analysis and impact measurement.
The Gender officer will be reporting to the Ibero M&E and Business Development Manager. .
• Ensure that the gender mainstreaming activities are implemented effectively and timely in Project.
• Build the capacity of leadership of farmers’ groups, lead farmers to understand, address and give visibility to Gender issues in their activities.
• Build the capacity of the field team to understand, address and give visibility to Gender issues in their activities
• Train Farmer households on gender equality and promote joint-planning at household level
• Conduct gender awareness sessions in Farmer Field schools and monitor performance of Change Agents.
• Conduct periodical Household visits and Change agents’ households assessment
• Provide feedback, prepare and disseminate reports on the status of implementation and the lessons learned through the gender -mainstreaming project as required.
• Adopt approaches and methodologies that are Gender sensitive and promote gender equality
• Ensure equitable participation of male and female in all activities of the program and projects – in decision-making processes through close collaboration with other field staff.
• To participate in any other activity as requested by project management.
Skills and Professional Qualification
• The candidate should have 3 or more years of solid experience in gender mainstreaming at rural level, especially with smallholder farmers in Uganda. She/he will be familiar with different approaches and methodologies and be able to adapt these in different situations.
• The candidate will have excellent communication, training and facilitation skills and be able to apply them to diverse target groups.
• The candidate will have the necessary skills to collect and analyse information, further to measuring the impact of activities and to communicating the results to management and other stakeholders.
• A degree in a related field will be preferred further to strong computer and reporting skills, and excellent command of English and Luganda.
• The candidate must be willing to live and work with rural communities in Masaka.
• Possession of a valid motorbike rider’s license and willingness to ride extensively within the project regions.
• Must have impeccable character and integrity
• Understand the dynamics of the local coffee buying space
• Must have an eye for details.
• Ability to work under pressure and beyond working hours.
• Ability to work under minimum supervision.
• Must be a good team player.
• Ability to train others.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated capacity to document processes and outcomes.
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills.
• Fluent in English and Luganda.
The position is based in Masaka with frequent travels in the project area and occasional
travel to Kampala
Job Education Requirements: A degree
Job Experience Requirements: 3 or more years
Job application procedure
Application letters, detailed CV, and the names and contacts of 3 referees should preferably be
submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and the subject of the email should be
“Application for the position of gender officer“
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications must be received by 05.00pm
September 30, 2019.
IBERO Uganda Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer