Job Title: Driver (01)
Reports To: Sr. Driver
Country/Location: Uganda/ Moroto
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
CRS has worked in Uganda since 1965, initially providing emergency assistance to Sudanese refugees living in the north. Over the years, CRS has expanded its programming to also address development needs in western, central and eastern Uganda. CRS’ projects in Uganda currently include agriculture, health, microfinance, peacebuilding and youth. CRS Uganda implements its programs through partnerships with local organizations, including the Catholic Church, other faith-based organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability.
CRS is leading a consortium of six implementing and technical partners to run a five-year, $35 million USAID/FFP funded program called Nuyok to build resilience to shocks, enhance livelihoods through improved food security and nutrition and promote maternal and child health for vulnerable rural families in four districts of Karamoja – Abim, Nakapiripirit, Nabilatuk and Napak.
Nuyok seeks to strengthen governance and gender equity, community capacity to manage shocks and stresses, traditional and diversified livelihood opportunities and nutrition and health (including improved water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) of pregnant and lactating women, adolescent girls and children under five years of age.
The Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Uganda, in partnership with CARE are implementing the Inclusive
Market-based Development for Smallholder Farmers in Karamoja sub region Project. The goal of this 36 months programme is designed to increase food security, improve maternal and child nutrition and enhance household income in the Karamoja Sub-region, and Katakwi District.
The Specific Objective of the DINU programme is to increase food security, improve maternal and child nutrition and enhance household incomes through support to diversified food production and
commercial agriculture and through improved household resilience (notably to climate change) and women empowerment. The target population is expected to receive support to engage in diversified agricultural production and establish linkages to commercial input and output markets and financial services to engage in commercial agriculture allowing for improved food security and improvement of nutrition specifically amongst children, women and adolescents.
The project will also include specific and nutrition sensitive interventions and support other health related service access with a strong focus on gender equality and empowerment of women and youth.
Job Summary: The purpose of this position is to perform tasks related to driving CRS vehicles entrusted to you in a safe and economical manner in conjunction with CRS policy and the traffic laws and regulations of Uganda. Also perform minor mechanical tasks. .
• Draft monthly vehicle maintenance plans and ensure implementation. Take accountability for all spare parts, accessories, etc. fitted in assigned vehicles during repairs at the workshop or field.
• Prepare vehicle performance, maintenance and repair reports, and submit as required.
• Plan ahead to meet anticipated travel requirements and make all arrangements for ensuring efficient services (fueling, pre-travel checks, required travel documents, required equipment, spare parts, and tools, persons traveling for packing instructions and timings).
• Ensure copies of daily mileage logs, pen and clipboard are readily available in all assigned vehicles. Promptly collect filled in daily mileage logs to avoid loss or defacing.
• Routinely check all assigned vehicles Licenses, Insurances, and other required documents and promptly advice the VMU Supervisor when renewals are due.
• Transport CRS staff and visitors as instructed, observing local traffic and road safety laws and all CRS vehicle policies to ensure safety of passengers and luggage, and quality and courteous services. Report immediately any accidents and/or route changes due to security, bad weather, road conditions. Maintain and submit accurate records for all trips.
• Ensure assigned vehicles are secured when not in use.
Education and Experience
• Education: O level Certificate.
• Experience: 3 Years Driving and Mechanical Experience.
• Certificates/Licenses: Class A, B, CM, and DM Driver’s License.
• Understanding of the Geographical area of assignment
• Service-oriented with focus on meeting customer needs
• Well-organized and able to manage multiple tasks.
• Very good negotiation and relationship management skills
• Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
Travel Required (include percentage of required travel, if applicable)
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: All staff
External: Partners and all stake holders
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Trusting Relationships
• Professional Growth
Job application procedure
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
NOTE: To apply, please follow the instructions below: • Email a cover letter and CV only to email@example.com by February 12, 2021 at 5:00pm. Large files and/or scans of documents will lead to rejection of your application.
• In the subject line of the email, copy and paste – DRIVERMOROTO. All applications that do not contain this subject line will be rejected and not read.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE NOTIFIED