Fenix International is a next-generation energy and technology company. Our mission is to improve the quality of life of our customers through inclusive energy and financial services. Our flagship product, Fenix Power, is a modular, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable instalments from just $0.11 per day. We use real-time transaction data to create a next-generation credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans, unlocking modern financial services for our customers. To date, Fenix has sold over 500,000 Solar Home Systems in Uganda, Zambia, Côte d’Ivoire, Benin, Nigeria and Mozambique, bringing clean, reliable power for lights, phones, radios, TV and much more to over 2,500,000 people.
In early 2018, Fenix joined forces with ENGIE, one of the world’s largest energy companies and a leader in the move to renewable, decentralised and digital energy. This has allowed Fenix to make significant commercial investments to accelerate the path to our mission, via new markets and innovative products. Together, Fenix and ENGIE are making universal access to modern energy a reality.
As part of Fenix’s engagement to bring life-changing products to its customers, Fenix is expanding its product base to include a new range of clean-cooking products and services. To do so efficiently, Fenix has created an independent and entrepreneurial team (Fumba team). The Fumba team is looking for a highly motivated, innovative and well organised Data Analyst to join its business development and strategy team. The Data Analyst will be responsible for analyzing a broad range of data as well as manage database and inform of data gaps. In this fast-paced startup culture, the successful candidate will be expected to come up with innovative and daring solutions to new problems and to take ownership over a wide range of responsibilities.
The Data Analyst will report directly to the head of Business Development and Strategy department.
This position offers an incredible opportunity to work with a dynamic team of business development professionals and to directly contribute to the success of the Fumba Team startup. Candidates must have a passion for entrepreneurship, renewable energy and sustainable development in Frontier Markets.
Data management and process optimization
- Work with the software team to design, build and support critical ETL pipelines
- Contribute to the identification of data analysis functionalities needs and the architecture of data reports in the business Management Information System (MIS)
- Develop and manage the team’s databases, develop dynamic visual dashboards, graphs, and reports easily interpretable and accessible
- Troubleshoot database issues
- Evaluate internal systems for efficiency, problems, and inaccuracies, developing and maintaining protocols for handling, processing, and cleaning data
Business data analysis
- Clean, mine, extract, collate and analyze large and complex datasets, using statistical techniques where appropriate, to uncover trends, patterns, relationships, and draw valid inferences using BI Analytics tools such as Tableau
- Create and perform sophisticated and robust SQL queries to gather reporting data for business development and strategy purposes
- Use data to monitor the health of the business and keep stakeholders apprised of key metrics and insights. Filter and “clean” data to predict performance indicators
- Design randomized, controlled experiments to understand levers available to improve customer segmentation, repayment, retention, etc.
- Perform analyses, with statistical tools as appropriate to evaluate the impact of pilots and other interventions
- Leverage a variety of internal and external data sources, such as Google forms surveys, qualitative interviews, the team MIS and other external data-sets to help Fumba grow its business and maximise its impact
Team, Strategy and Leadership
- Train team members on data tools/skills to grow data capacity and culture at Fenix
- Stay informed of best practice and technological developments in order to recognize improvement opportunities and articulate the potential benefits these could bring to the role
- Gain support and buy-in for proposed improvements from key internal stakeholders; communicate key insights to different interest groups in a compelling way
Required Skills & Experience
- Degree in computer science, statistics, or a related field
- At least 3 years of proven experience in business data analysis
- Strong SQL languages skills, comfortable writing queries, data processing scripts, and understanding data structures
- Advanced quantitative analysis skills and proficiency in Excel, including most Excel add-ons, and the capacity to build outstanding charts, diagrams and dashboards
- Proficiency in Tableau or similar BI analytics tools skills
- A robust analytical skill-set, endless curiosity and a desire to think outside the box
- Keen eye for detail and investigation abilities
- Demonstrated expertise in strategic analysis to inform decisions
- Sense of adventure and willingness to dive in, think big, and execute with a team
- Experience as a collaborative, hands-on team player and eagerness to learn new tools and / or roll-up sleeves to get the job done,
- Deadline-driven, organized and able to multitask
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills (English)
- Demonstrate passion for Fenix’s mission, values and customers
- Thrives on teamwork
- Commitment to live and work in East Africa
- Strong Python skills and/or working knowledge of Python in a data analytics/science capacity
- Proficiency with statistical analysis programs such as STATA
- Financial and policy analysis skills will be appreciated
- Experience in designing and conducting qualitative and quantitative research
- Education and/or work experience in the developing world, ideally East Africa
- Experience working with last-mile customers in Africa,
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial or entrepreneurial experience inside a larger company