UGAFODE Microfinance Limited (MDI) is a registered financial institution in Uganda and is adherent to the Central Bank’s regulations and guidelines and was founded in 1994 to provide quality microfinance services.
Job Summary: The Compliance Supervisor shall be responsible for providing support in ensuring enterprise-wide compliance risk management program in line with applicable laws and regulations as well as UGAFODE (MDI)’s strategic objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Draft compliance strategy/plan: Initiates draft annual universal capture/areas of focus for compliance department within UGAFODE by identifying, reviewing and assessing/profiling compliance risks across branches and departments.
• Anti-Money Laundering and Combating Financing of Terrorism (AML & CFT): Supports in ensuring that UGAFODE’s Money Laundering compliance is up-to-date by monitoring and reviewing AML risk through an efficient identification and monitoring of any suspicious activities process as well as timely reporting.
• Implement the scheduled compliance reviews: Offers supervision to Compliance officers as per approved Annual compliance schedule. Reviews compliance review reports prepared by Compliance Officers and follows up on action plans and preparing an inventory of all issues from branches and departments.
• Continuous monitoring: Supports the attainment UGAFODE (MDI) strategic goals by ascertaining that there are adequate, effective and efficient controls to ensure compliance with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements and with the internal policies and procedures as well as Annual operating plan.
• Compliance Risk Identification and reporting: Continuously supports with identifying, evaluating, and addressing the compliance and operational risks of UGAFODE and ensures periodic reporting of the compliance risk status to the Compliance Manager.
• Closing pending compliance issues: As approved, visit branches and other departments and close pending and emerging operational compliance in line with agreed issues action plans and timelines.
• Review and reporting: Reviews and reports on compliance/non-compliance to lenders covenants and other service level agreements, reviews compliance with regulatory risk limits for UGAFODE, and other critical entities in line with set policy and procedural standards.
• Compliance Training: Support the Compliance Manager to cultivate a culture of appreciating Compliance risk in UGAFODE through induction training, coaching and other awareness sessions.
• Internal policies and procedures: Support with periodic reviews of UGAFODE’s Compliance Policies and Procedures to ensure that they comply with the Bank of Uganda Guidance Note on Compliance Risk and coordinates periodic reviews of all UGAFODE’s policies and procedures.
• Succession Planning: Assumes the Head of department mandate in the event of absence or as may be requested by management from time to time on all institutional compliance risk matters.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The applicant must hold a Bachelor degree in Laws /Business Administration or a business-related field.
• A minimum of three years of experience in banking or related financial institution with experience in handling compliance procedures.
• A good understanding of laws and regulations governing financial institutions
• Broad knowledge of Banking Operations, Pertinent Banking Compliance Legislation, policies and procedures,
• In-depth knowledge of AML, KYC principles, workings of different international sanction list is crucial.
• Solution-focused, flexible thinker with a strong “can do” attitude and able to influence
• A good negotiator and able to engage diversity.
• Must have strong analytical, networking, stakeholder engagement skills, sound judgment and decision-making skills
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
If you believe you meet the requirements as stated, submit an application letter together with an up-to-date CV to our email: [email protected] Save the Documents as Your Full Name & The Job Title you are applying for, the same title should appear in the Email Subject Line. Your applications should be addressed to the Head of Human Resources. Applications will be viewed on a rolling basis.