Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) is a semi-autonomous agency under the Ministry of Tourism, Wildlife and Antiquities. UWA was established in 1996 and is managed in accordance with the Wildlife Act Cap 200.
The Mission of UWA is: “To conserve, economically develop and sustainably manage the wildlife and protected areas of Uganda in partnership with neighboring communities and other stakeholders for the benefit of the people of Uganda and the global community.
UWA, an equal opportunity employer wishes to recruit a high caliber, self-motivated and result oriented Ugandan nationals to fill the Position below.
JOB TITLE: BOAT/FERRY OPERATOR/COXWAIN
SALARY SCALE: UWA O9
DUTY STATION: FIELD BASED
REPORTS TO: WARDEN TOURISM
VACANCIES: ONE (1)
AGE LIMIT: NOT ABOVE 45 YEARS
CONTRACT DURATION: FOUR (4) YEARS RENEWABLE
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To operate marine vessels in safe and effective manner and ensure the safety of passengers on board .
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Anchor and de-anchor the vessel.
• Operate and steer the boat/ferry.
• Ensure safety of passengers, properties and vehicles on board
• Keep and maintain records and log books/sheets for all trips.
• Routine checks of fuel / oil and other working tools.
• Maintain the vessel in a good mechanical condition and ensure its cleanliness
• Report any observed navigational hazards to immediate supervisor.
• Follow safety procedures in order to ensure the protection of passengers, cargo, and vessels.
• Issue directions for loading, unloading, and seating in boats.
• Performing other related duties assigned by a supervisor
• A valid driving permit class I.
• Should possess an O Level Certificate of Education and a Certificate in Marine operations from a recognized Institution.
• Must have completed six months course in Marine Rescue and swimming, crowd management and passenger safety.
Should have at least three (3) years in operating and maintaining boats/ferries.
• Proven ability to manoeuvre water vessels under different weather conditions
• Good customer care.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: High School
Job application procedure
Suitable candidates should send their application with a detailed Curriculum Vitae bearing contacts of three (3) competent referees, a daytime telephone contact, copies of academic documents and relevant appointment
letters to the address below:
The Executive Director
Uganda Wildlife Authority
Plot 7 Kira Road Kamwokya
P.0. Box 3530, Kampala Uganda
Hand deliver to the Conservation Area nearest to you i.e. Headquarters, Lake Mburo (Minekye), Kidepo Valley (Geremech), Murchison Falls (Mubako), Kibale(lsunga), Queen Elizabeth(Katunguru), Mt. Elgon(Mbale) and Bwindi Mgahinga(Buhoma).
All applications should reach the address above by 26th March 2021 at 5.00 pm.
The Job Advert can be accessed from the UWA website below;
http://www.ugandawildlife.org and UWA notice boards.
Applicants are required to attach valid driving permits and copies of the required academic documents only i.e, (Certificates and Transcripts including O and A level).
Academic documents for the successful candidates will be vetted and background checks conducted before they are considered for appointment into the Authority.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please note that any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
All appointments shall be subject to a probationary period of not less than six months and subsequent confirmation in service will be based on satisfactory performance of the individual.