The German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) has commissioned the Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) with the Programme Strengthening Governance and Civil Society in Uganda, “ co-funded by the European Union.
The main objective of the programme is that selected state and civil society actors in Uganda are in a better position to work towards compliance with human rights and governance principles (transparency, accountability, efficient and effective management and political participation) in their respective areas of responsibility. Structurally, the programme focuses on 3 main components:
1) Strengthening Accountability
2) Strengthening Human Rights and
3) Strengthening Civil Society.
In the area of civil society support GIZ, co-funded by the EU, focusses on: (1) creating an enabling environment, (2) foster political participation and (3) capacity building for civil society organizations (CSO). CUSP is following a specific approach utilizing the experience already made at the level of certain GIZ sector support and development programmes as well as the EU National Indicative Programme (NIP).
The programme component (1) creating an enabling environment cooperates closely with the other programme components (2) foster political participation and (3) capacity building for CSOs which will be primarily be implemented through the hubs in Kampala, Gulu, Mbale and three mobile hubs.
We are now recruiting an advisor on political participation on national level (programme component 1) in Kampala.
Job Title: Advisor Political Participation Governance and Civil Society Programme (CUSP)
Report to: Head of Components
Duty Station: Kampala Uganda
Ref. No: GIZ – CUSP/APP/111993 .
The advisor on political participation on national level will be responsible for:
• Day to day organization with focus on political participation on national level in close coordination with the line manager.
• Planning, Implementation, Monitoring and Reporting of activities on national level in line with the mandate of the programme.
• Representation of the programme together with the line manager in close cooperation with all relevant actors active in the field and the region.
B. Specific Tasks
Specific tasks Include, but are not limited to:
Strategic conceptual work:
• Mapping of existing CSOs and CSO platforms on different perspectives and sectors.
• Establish partnerships with OPM (Office of Prime Minster), the NPA (National Planning Authority) as well as with other ministries.
• Establish partnerships with CSO organizations and CSO platforms. Establish partnerships between governmental and CSO organization as well as with CSO platforms.
• Launch fora and processes as well as mechanisms for consultation.
• Advise and support the advisors in the decentralized Hubs in Kampala, Gulu and Mbale on political participation.
• Implement innovative advisory services strengthening CSO engagement with regards to political participation in different sectors (governance, water, energy and agriculture Sectors)
• Advise on the development of internal policies, guidelines and manuals in CSOs/networks to strengthen their internal governance, work processes and networking on political participation
• Ensure timely and smooth communication between programme partners and within the programme
• Internal and External representation of the programme in coordination with the line management
Administration and Reporting
• Support programme activities, outputs and outcomes
• Support the reporting according to EU standards. Take over administrative tasks for a smooth Implementation of the programme.
Other duties/additional tasks
• Perform other tasks at the request of component head.
Knowledge in results-based management.
• Experience in qualitative and quantitative research, data collection and data analysis,
• Working experience in civil society organizations or governmental institutions.
• Very good knowledge of English, knowledge of German is an added value.
• Excellent people skills and ability to negotiate between different stakeholder groups.
• Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Self-drive, creativity, and problem-solving capacity are required.
• Able to work independent, responsible and target oriented.
Required qualifications and experience
• University Degree (minimum MSc or MA) in a relevant field, preferably in Law, Political Science, Social Science, Development Studies.
Professional experience, other knowledge and additional competences
• Minimum 3 years professional experience in participation of civil society
Job Education Requirements: University Degree MSc or MA
Job Experience Requirements: 3 years
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by submitting their application and CV along with the contacts of three professional referees to The Director, Future Options Consulting Ltd, by email:
firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the position you are applying for and the reference No, as the subject.
Please note: This is a national position. Application and CV should be in one document and a maximum of 6 pages only. No other attachments are required at this stage. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We encourage women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective al the working place.
Disclaimer: GIZ DOES NOT charge any kind of FEE(s) at whichever stage of the recruitment process. This recruitment is ONLY through Future Options Consulting Ltd