Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) is a semi-autonomous agency under the Ministry of Tourism, Wildlife and Antiquities. UWA was established under the Uganda Wildlife Act Cap 200, and continued under the Uganda Wildlife Act, 2019.
The Mission of UWA is: “To conserve, economically develop and sustainably manage the wildlife and protected areas of Uganda in partnership with neighbouring communities and other stakeholders for the benefit of the people of Uganda and the global community.”
UWA, an equal opportunity employer wishes to recruit high calibre, self-motivated and result oriented Ugandan nationals to fill the positions below.
Job Title: Ranger
Vacancies: Eight Hundred And Fifty (850)
Main Purpose of the Job
To protect wildlife resources, property and human life in the area of deployment.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Conduct patrols/operations to protect wildlife resources in and around the
• Protected Areas.
• Detect and proactively prevent wildlife crime.
• Arrest, search and support the prosecution of suspects involved in illegal wildlife activities.
• Provide security to wildlife resources, UWA property, staff and visitors in and outside the Protected Areas.
• Collect and record field data for management decision making.
• Support problem animal control.
• Support the rescue, capture and translocation of wildlife.
• Whenever assigned, operate radios and disseminate information to relevant personnel.
• Gather and relay intelligence to relevant personnel.
• Monitor protected area boundaries and deter encroachment.
• Assist in undertaking wildlife inventories and surveys.
• Prepare and timely submit performance and other operational reports
• Perform any other official duty as assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
Holders of an Ordinary Level Certificate of Education with a credit in English language or Mathematics obtained not more than 6 years ago.
• Proven medical and physical fitness
• Ability to withstand harsh field conditions
• High level of integrity and accountability
• Team work
• Good communication skills
• Time management
• Eligible candidates must meet the following requirements;
o Must be in possession of handwritten application to the Executive Director
• Uganda Wildlife Authority with personal telephone numbers, original copies of their academic documents (Certificate and Transcript) and a detailed Curriculum Vitae.
o Must be Ugandan adult citizen with original National Identity Card.
o Must be healthy and physically fit, ready to undergo medical and physical check and a road run to test endurance and body fitness.
o Candidates must be of good conduct with no criminal record.
o Candidates should be ready to undergo para military training.
o Academic documents for the successful candidates will be vetted and background checks conducted before they are considered for appointment into the Authority.
o Presentation of false documents is criminal and culprits will be liable to prosecution.
o Please note that any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
Job application procedure
Interested and qualifying candidates should report to the nearest recruitment centre as listed below by 8:00 am on June 8, 2022 with their hand written applications and original copies of their academic certificates and identification documents. They should also come prepared to undertake physical fitness tests including running.
• Masindi Sports Stadium Masindi District.
• Boma Grounds Fort Portal, Kabarole District
• Zebra Grounds Minekye Lake Mburo National Park in Kiruhura District
• Bwindi Community Hospital Play Ground, Kanungu District
• Mbale S.S. Sports Stadium, Mbale District
• Kidepo Valley National Park Headquarters, Geremech, Karenga District
• Queen Elizabeth National Park playground Katunguru, Rubirizi District
• The job advert can also be accessed from the UWA website below;
www.ugandawildlife.org and UWA notice boards.