22 Community Mobilization Assistant – Mbarara, Uganda – ICYD Activity
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
1. Children and youth have improved learning outcomes
2. Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments
3. Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships
This Activity will address the mutually reinforcing relationship between improving learning outcomes and improving wellbeing and employ a comprehensive approach that merges PEPFAR/Orphans and Vulnerable Children strategy’s strengths in acute vulnerability stabilization with education’s broad protective effects.
The Community Mobilization Assistant (CMA) will work with School Management Committees (SMCs) and Parents Teachers Associations (PTAs) and Community Development Officers and Assistants to initiate Local Reading Support Plans (LRSPs) and Community Journeys in school communities. The CMA will manage the literacy volunteers. The CMA will be responsible for working with and through community structures to implement project interventions to support quality implementation of the ICYD Activity. Community support activities for reading will dove tail with efforts to improve retention and school safety. This is a full-time position based in Mbarara zone, Uganda, and preference will be given to locals based in the respective districts of Lyantonde, Kyotera, Luwengo and Bukomansimbi.
As a member of the project team:
• CMAs will work with the community to facilitate the activities in the Local Reading Support Plans (LRSPs)
• CMAs will recruit and train youth and older individuals who have successfully completed primary school on the tutoring package by ICYD EGR officers
• The CMA will work closely with the Para–Social Workers (PSWs) and Social Workers (SWs) who organize Village Child Case Management Committees (VCCMCs) at community level to provide a venue for reporting, tracking and managing child protection issues
• Contribute community mobilization plans and strategies to an integrated zonal level project work plan
• Prepare written reports on project activities and results on a monthly and quarterly basis
• Support School Management Committees (SMCs), Parents Teachers Associations (PTAs) and other community organizations to develop plans and strategies to address barriers to enrollment and retention; identify and recruit age-appropriate children; monitor attendance; and address school related gender based violence (SRGBV) at the school level;
• Contribute to addressing the Gender Based Violence issues at family and community levels
• Conduct these and other tasks as required in support of project goals
The candidate for the position of Community Mobilization Assistant shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
• Grade III Teaching Certificate; diploma in a related field is preferred.
Skills and Experience:
• Experience in implementing community awareness and advocacy activities, including trainings
• Understanding of the Ugandan education context
• Knowledgeable of local government community structures
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to build effective relationships with all community local government structures and peers
• Ability to work within a cross cultural setting with tolerance and respect, and negotiate diplomatically
• Possess some supervisory and management experience
• Ability to work well under pressure
• Fluency in Luganda and English is required.
Please note: Preference will be given to locals based in the respective districts of Lyantonde, Kyotera, Luwengo and Bukomansimbi
Job closing date: November 5, 2021
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.
Note: EDC doesn’t solicit for money from applicants at any level of the recruitment & selection process.
Job application procedure
Click here to Apply Now